Monday 24 August 2015

Day 7- Split

It is very loud here.

There are many more cars and we can hear every single one as they drive past our window. The buses make a rumbling sound as they go past- all this noise is quite a shock to the system after a quiet few days.
The Diocletian Palace ruins



The modern Riva along the coast.


The weather was better than yesterday. It rained heavily in the morning but was quite hot and sunny again by early afternoon. We went to Split town centre because of the bad weather. I really wanted to go to a nearby Island but was worried about the unpredictable weather.

Split town centre is also quite small but the largest one we've seen yet. It is also the easiest one to get lost in and navigate around. We spent ages looking for a restaurant recommended by the Lonely Planet. It took us a while to find it tucked away into a tiny alley. When did finally find it, it was already very busy. It was a tiny place but the menus looked promising and the prices were very reasonable. Shame that we couldn't eat there.

I'm not sure if I like Split. I don't feel like it's somewhere I want to go on holiday. I understand using Split mainly as a harbour point to travel to the other islands and maybe have a look at the ruins in the centre, but other than that, Split doesn't really appeal to me. The ruins were pretty spectacular, I must say. The shopping areas around here is also the best so far. However, from growing up in a big city China and studying in London, I have a sense of what cities should be like, and Split is neither here nor there. It is developing, therefore trying to be a big city. Once you are out of the centre it is very unglamorous. The rivar is a rather lively place to hang around. It is nice to look out onto the coast line whilst having a cool drink. The rivar is very modern and new and there was a band playing music in the evening. While the view is nice, it is not much more different to the scenery in the previous places. If anything, I would say it is less interesting to look at. Maybe Split left a bad first impression on me, or maybe I was biased in not expecting very much because my best friend told me Split is a hole before I came here, but I don't think I will come to Split again for sight-seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloglovin' Follow 2

Follow