Wednesday 9 September 2015

Too Many Lectures!

Two more days until we go back on the wards, THANK GOD. I cannot take anymore lectures.

For the first time this week, being at university hasn't induced me to sleep. We had small group teaching sessions on bedside assessments, palliative care, ear examination and ophthalmology. In small group teaching, I was actually engaged and felt like I was learning something! Whereas for the last two days, I was sitting in an artificially lit lecture theatre with no windows (sunlight = happiness, heard of seasonal depressive disorder?), in front of my iPad, which was for note taking but really became a procrastination tool, and unable to listen to anything with attention. I wanted to listen dutifully and make impeccably clear notes, but that just did not happen. Maybe I wasn't interested in the content (psychiatry, yuck) or maybe I just have a short attention span. The exact same thing happened last year, but I passed and came in 4th decile, so the lectures are obviously not pass/fail. Well, I have to tell myself that to make me a little bit better when I'm sitting next to my friend who is typing away on her laptop diligently...

Today was so good though. I felt so happy that I saw the optic disc through the ophthalmoscope. I only really managed once before on a patient whose pupils were dilated medically. They say practice makes perfect, but an ophthalmoscope costs over £100! I inherited one from my boyfriend's grandma, but I blew out the bulb by putting the wrong battery in it... Then I tried to find the correct battery online, but the model of the ophthalmoscope was so old. Also, it still costs so much and a new bulb costs £70 too. Learning medicine is so expensive, my stethoscope alone cost me around £60!

So tomorrow, we have one 3 hour lecture in the morning, then a couple more one hour lectures, followed by a super short lunch break and then another 3 hour lecture in the afternoon (on psych again, yucky yuck yuck)! I am not looking forward to it. I am going to go to Chinatown after lectures though- the company and the custard buns will save me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloglovin' Follow 2

Follow