Thursday 17 September 2015

New Junior Doctor Contracts

I am so angry. Absolutely fuming. Why are doctors in England constantly under attack by the government?

No, I am not a doctor yet, just a medical student, but in under two years time, I will be the one affected by the new junior doctor contracts.

After 6 years of hard work, after 6 years of debt, there will be more years of hard work, more exams, more training courses, and even more money spent on those things. Of course I knew about that, I accepted that. But what I don't accept is the government insinuating that we are lazy, greedy, money grabbers.

Firstly, the 7 day NHS debacle. The NHS is already working 24/7, giving everyone, everyone access to free healthcare. While junior doctors, registrars and consultants work day and night to deliver that service. The 6000 deaths are NOT due to a '5 day' system. This is the paper the conservative government based their movement on, which then caused sensationalism by the Daily Mail. Utter rubbish.

The conclusion states that 'admissions at the weekend is associated with increased risk of subsequent death within 30 days of admission. The likelihood of death actually occurring is less on a weekend day than a mid-week day.' From this conclusion, I cannot fathom why the government thought having a 7 day NHS would solve the problem in the death rate variance.

If you want a more detailed breakdown of the results from the paper, check out this blog.

So after all the social media rage over the havoc Jeremy Hunt has fueled, now comes the new contracts for junior doctors starting from 2016. All with the aim of a 'better and safer' NHS. And these are the facts:


1. Standard working hours are changed 

Currently:

7am to 7pm, Monday to Friday are standard working hours. Any hours worked outside this means a higher rate of pay per hour.

New contract:

7am to 10pm, Monday to Friday, and Saturday. Now, when I am a medical student in hospital, I act like a student doctor. I speak with careful thought and I try my best to learn. I talk to patients with respect and try to help them in anyway that I can. I am a professional in a hospital, even more so when I actually qualify. However, I'd quite like some break from that. I also like hanging out with my friends, I like doing romantic things with my boyfriend, I want to attend family events. When do those things happen? Usually on a Saturday or Sunday. I know I will need to work weekends, and I don't mind that at all, but don't you dare tell me that I should be paid equally for working Monday evenings and Saturday evenings. Every other profession gets more unsociable hours pay, why are doctors different? Just because we have the desire to help and heal, our good will can be taken advantage of?!

2. Employers can work juniors excessive hours without penalisation 

Currently:

There are penalties for employers that work junior doctors excessive hours. Working hours are monitored to ensure juniors don't work too many of them- don't forget the European Working Time Directive. The average number of weekly hours allowed to work is currently 48.

New contract:

There will be no monitoring, no penalties for employers that overwork doctors. A little hard work never hurt nobody right? Wrong. Over worked doctors -> tired doctor -> sick doctors -> more error prone doctors -> less healthy patients

3. No pay progression for years

Currently:

As a doctor progresses through training each year, that doctor gets paid more. The doctor gains more experience, gains more knowledge, and is rewarded for it. Like any other job, as you progress, you climb the pay ladder.

New contract:

The NHS employers are proposing to put FY1 to ST9 into 6 different pay grades. Just so you know, that is 11 years of training. This means that after working for three years, after paying for exams and Royal College memberships, and gaining more clinical experience, we will get the same salary. Pay progression is even slower if you want to work part time. Is this really fair?

4. Discrimination

Current contract:

The NHS is actually fairly supportive for females who want to start families, a few months of maternity leave is paid, albeit low. There are many paediatricians who work part-time and can progress through their training with support. I was looking forward to working in a NHS where I could train flexibly when I want to start a family.

New contract:

Trainees' pay will no longer be protected if they choose to have a baby, want to work part time, or to re-train in new specialty. So if you happen to be a fairly senior doctor in a acute medicine at a hospital, let's say ST4, but decided to change to GP, maybe for family reasons, your pay could possibly be lowered back to the starting point.

5. The actual numbers - massive pay cut

Currently: 

A junior doctor gets around £22,600 per annum. This is after 6 years of university and debt. It is not amazing but we have all accepted that this is the way it is.

New contract:

We could get just around £20,000 per annum. Most doctors have done some maths and predicted that they will get 10-15% pay cut. So while we get at least a 10% pay cut, the politicians have gotten a 10% rise. Why is that? Why do they deserve that pay rise while we get a pay cut? How many holidays do you get Jeremy Hunt?

There are a few more contract changes that will affect some specialties more than others, you can check them out on the BMA website.

Also, what on earth are physician associates?! £50,000 per annum after 2 years of studying?! Are you kidding me?!

And don't forget, the point of the new contract is for a 'better and safer' NHS, a '7-day' NHS. All of that based on that paper. If we don't accept this contract, they will impose it. We get no choice. This is ransom. This is just pure bullying. 

I think I will just go to Australia now, thank you very much.

Now the only question is, to strike or not to strike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloglovin' Follow 2

Follow