Thursday 10 September 2015

Top Tips for Getting into Medical School

*Disclaimer: this blog post is aimed at students applying for medical schools in the UK*

How do I get into Medical School?

This is a question I have asked myself a few times in sixth form. A questions with unsure answers, especially as I was applying for medicine for the second time back in 2010. Now thinking about it, it all seemed much simpler.

If you are currently thinking about becoming a doctor, and would like to go study medicine at university (how else will you become a doctor right?), read on for my Top Ten Tips. Advice from someone who has tried twice, so I know what to do and what not to do.


1. Make sure you really want to become a doctor. 

Do you really, really want to become a doctor? Take a minute and just think of a reason in your head for me. *after 1 minute* Did you think along the lines of something like 'I like science, but don't want to be in a lab all day'/ 'I like working with people'/ 'I want a job where I can carry on learning/career that is constantly changing'/ 'I like the variety of medicine, you can be a doctor, a teacher and a researcher'.

Okay that's all great, but why do you really want to be a doctor? The above answers are all fine for interviews or personal statements, but what is your personal reason? Maybe you like the job security, maybe you like the money. Not gonna lie to you, I certainly considered that when I applied for medicine. So be honest with yourself and think about your reasons, then think, is 5/6 years of hard work worth it. If it is just job security, then that's not worth it. People who study maths and computer science are in high demand too. Although we are guaranteed jobs for the first (maybe second) year after we graduate, it is dog eat dog after that. It is immensely competitive. The money. Well, that's not great either. A junior doctor gets around £25k per annum. We don't get unsociable hours pay either (unlike the nurses) and we have a hefty loan to pay off. So just make sure your reasons for becoming a doctor are worth all the hard work for you.

If it is because your parents want you to do it, then seriously, just quit now.

2. Research into what being a doctor/medical student is actually like.

So many people decide they want to be a doctor, then do work experience just to say they have done it. That is definitely the wrong way to do it. You can't decide on a career path if you have no idea what it is like! Do work experience to confirm being a doctor is definitely what you want to do. You can shadow a doctor or you can also just talk to doctors and see what they like and don't like about their job.

3. Research into what being a medical student is actually like.

Also research the medical course. Lots of medical schools teach it differently. Some is split into nonclinical and clinical years, some is more integrated. Some require you do a BSc degree. Do your research, it is 5/6 years of your life! Attend open days! Speak to people, ask around, this is all very important information. Chances are, they will ask you why you want to study at their university at the interview.

4. Work experience 

Okay, so this is probably one the most important things. Work experience is notoriously difficult to come by because of confidential and sensitive information etc. However, it has to be done. This was where I went wrong the first time. I spoke to doctors, went to a renal dialysis centre, but I didn't have concrete shadowing experience. However, for the second time I applied, I had done 4 weeks worth of hospital experience in China, and I started working as a healthcare assistant during my gap year.

How to get work experience? Well, if you are in a selective school, your school will most likely help you out with that a little bit, or maybe you have medical parents, or maybe you know people who know a someone... Whatever connections you have, USE ALL OF IT. You have got to make opportunities for yourself. Now, if you don't know anyone, you might just have to do some cold emailing. Go on your local hospital's website and you can usually find doctors' email addresses. You just gotta write that email. Have thick skin. Write a second one chasing them up if necessary. They are busy people. No one else is going to do it for you and no one is going to suddenly offer you a placement. They will be impressed by your initiative!

5. Personal statement, personal statement, personal statement! 

So you've got your work experience, now you need to write about it in your personal statement (PS). Your PS is your voice, it is what distinguishes you from other people. It is probably the most crucial thing in deciding whether you get that interview.

You don't have to have hundreds of different work experiences to write about, you can just write about one, but really reflect properly on it. One piece of experience is enough. Think of it as lumps of meat that you brown in oil first, then stew in stock forever and ever until it has disintegrated into pieces. Yes, reflect the crap out of it. Get used to it, you do it at medical school too.

Read more about personal statements here.

6. The extra exams: UKCAT & BMAT 

Right, these exams can be tricky. I hate the UKCAT and BMAT, hate the UKCAT slightly more. If you are applying to a UKCAT school, it is quite important to do well, above 650 at least. Above 700, you are safe. I got just above 650 for my UKCAT the first time round, and didn't even get an interview. Then the second time, I just didn't apply to any UKCAT universities. I also knew I didn't want to go to the UKCAT universities anyway, I wanted to go to the BMAT ones!

BMAT: first time, I was pretty average all across board. Second time, I was pretty average/slightly above for first two sections, then full marks for the third section (ethical essay). Doing well the second time round definitely helped. For the first time round, I didn't get an interview because of my BMAT scores. I did get an interview the second time round, and now I'm studying at the university that didn't give me an interview the first time round!

So how to do well on them?

Preparation is key. UKCAT- do the bank of questions you can buy. BMAT- there are courses you can attend, books you can read, questions you can practise. I went to two BMAT courses before I applied for the second time. One of them was focused on section 1 and 2, the other one was focused on section 3. The section 3 one definitely helped (full marks), however I'm not sure about section 1 and 2. It was so expensive and didn't really improve my marks by much at all! For section 3, read upon ethics. This is a particularly good one. It is also a super short and easy to read, therefore no excuses! It was even on my reading list during my first year!

7. Ace the interview. 

Chances are, if you are at the interview, you are more than half way in the door. Though that is not true for all of them especially if you've applied to Bristol, Cambridge or Oxford. I know that at my university, you are 80% in if you are at the interview stage.

Preparation is again key. Prepare the generic questions inside and out. Get a medical interview question bank book. They make you think about a variety of questions they can ask you. Prepare with your family. It might be difficult and cringey but it is so worth doing. Thinking about an answer in your head is different to saying it out loud. Trust me.

There are also interview courses. I went to one of them. I didn't think the interview techniques were that helpful, because it was a lot of common sense. However, the course did teach me some information about the NHS, politics, the training after medical school etc. Make sure you know that stuff before the interview.

In the end, just seem like a normal human being. Think before you speak. Mind your body language. The normal, generic advice applies here too!

8. Knowledge is key. 

This is a very similar point to the above point. You want to show off your knowledge in the interview. This varies from things about the NHS, training post medical school, your scientific knowledge (especially true for Oxbridge), current scientific development, ethics... So read upon all this and prepare. Prepare a piece of medical news you've read recently.

9. Personal statement, personal statement, personal statement!

This is in here twice because it is that important. And it makes the top tips into a nice round number. But seriously, it is the deciding factor.

10. Study, study and study!

In the end, all the above doesn't matter at all if you don't hit your required grades! Make sure you are doing the A-levels/IB subjects that are required for medical school admissions. Wouldn't it be sad that you managed to get an offer but not get it? Offers don't fall out of the sky, so once you get it, study study and study. Get that A*. You can do it!

What happens if you don't get an offer?

Well you can try again next year like I did. I bamboozled (for lack of a better word, since it wasn't a lie) them with my straight A*'s, not target grades, real ones. I think that helped a little bit. If you did all of the above, it is very unlikely that you won't get an offer anyway!

You can always go for graduate entry if you still want to do medicine by then. Be warned, it certainly doesn't get less competitive though!

So, I hope you found that helpful. Ask me any questions in the comment below! Comments are always welcomed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloglovin' Follow 2

Follow