Friday 21 August 2015

Day 4- Miljet

The owner of the hostel gave us a free lift to the ferry terminal this morning. We were leaving Dubrovnik today to go to Miljet Island via ferry. Fortunately for us, she was getting up early to drive to the airport and offered us a ride. We were very appreciative of this as it meant we got to the terminal in good time (7.30 for 9.15 boat) and it saved us a taxi fare. 
The view from our balcony- stunning!

I stayed up late last night and finished my book (No Safe House by Linwood Barclay, just in case you are interested), it was too engrossing and I just had to find out the end. This meant I went to sleep at 1am and woke up at 6.30am. Not very much sleep. When I'm tired I turn into a blabbering mess. I will giggle and speak in terrible foreign accents, Australian is a favourite, (although I think I'm improving...?), which slightly annoys my boyfriend. Lucky for him, I had a long snooze on the ferry for Miljet from Dubrovnik. I probably looked like an idiot sleeping with my mouth open. I got the trait from my mother, not one of the good genes.

Our hostel this time round was more like an apartment. We had our own balcony that overlooked Polace (a village in Miljet), we could see the harbour, the green mountains, the dancing waters and the white sailboats. It was a terrific view. We also had our private bathroom and kitchen. Therefore, this accommodation was much more expensive than our last, and it is the most expensive out of the whole trip- but it is so worth it! 


After having a long discussion of what to do, we decided to walk to the Miljet National park. The place is quite confusing as there was not specific gate or fence marking the beginning and end of the park. It seemed like the west half of the island was basically all national park territory. Also, you had to buy a ticket to enter it even though no one ever checked your ticket at any point.

After waking for 45 mins or so, we reached one of the big lakes in the park. The walk was again challenging in the scorching heat. I ended up just walking in my bikini because I was so hot! When we did finally swim in the lake, it was blissful. The view was fantastic. The lake was huge and surrounded by greenery. The water was clear and warm. Philip and I had a long swim and really enjoyed ourselves. Miljet was so much better than Lokrum! This place was just so beautiful.

One of the lakes...

Salt-water hair= Best Hair Ever.

We stayed at Polace rather than Pomona, which is the main tourist hub. This was good in that we had the quietness. On the other hand, It wasn't so good because it was further from the lakes and our next ferry departs from Pomena, something we only found out this evening. However I do think the quietness is worth the inconvenience. All I can hear from our room is crickets, and even that's a very faint background noise. I think I get used to the ambulance, the trains, the music and the drunks when I live in London. Then I come to a place like this and everything is just so peaceful. It is just absolutely wonderful. I am beginning to dread the return to London and university already! 

Tomorrow we hop onto another ferry to Korcula. It is another small island, and it's been called mini Dubrovnik by the travel books. 

I can't believe we are already half way through this dream Mediterranean holiday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloglovin' Follow 2

Follow