Sunday 23 August 2015

Day 6- Korcula II/ Arrival into Split

(Super long post with SO MANY pictures)

Today was probably the most troublesome day during the entire holiday.

Southern Croatia had a thunderstorm. At the beginning, I was quite glad of the rain. It bought a cool breeze to the town and for once I wasn't constantly sweating. However in the afternoon the storm grew. The episodes of rain was more frequent and it was pouring down. The cool breeze turned into a chill and I had to borrow Philip's jumper! I did not think that I would at any point wear a jumper and not feel boiling hot during this holiday.


Oh hey Mr Wind
Our favourite Pizzaria at Korcula, super large pizzas. We were such piggies. Can you see the rain?! Mad weather.


Luck seemed to be against us yesterday. When we were looking for a cafe to take a cover, they were all pretty full. When we did enter a cafe, the rain stopped 10 minutes later. We left the restaurant to catch the ferry in the pouring rain as we had no choice. We went back to the apartment to get our bags then we stepped out and the rain stopped! It was like the weather Gods were playing a game on us.



However, the weather didn't stop our activities completely. We did our first bit of souvenir shopping today. Philip got some lavender honey for his family. I got some too for my mum. I also got two different olive oil, one infused with rosemary, garlic and pepper, one infuse with mint. The mint olive oil had such a refreshing taste, I've never tasted anything like it. I also got some Bazga- an elderflower flavoured spirit. I've been searching for this drink in all the menus but never seen it. It was recommended by the Lonely Planet. Therefore I was very happy that I managed to spot it in a wine shop and immediately got a bottle. Another thing I got was some lavender oil. All of these produce are typically Croatian and I can't wait to use them when I get home. I can just imagine drizzling the olive oil over a nice big bowel of salad now. Nom.
Winding alleys, lost in them forever without my boyfriend...


We also went into the bell tower of the Cathedral when the rain stopped. The views were again stunning, and looked very similar to Dubrovnik.

The day was overall pretty uneventful. We got a ferry at around 7pm to go to Split. We arrived around 9pm. It was dark and wet, so Split didn't give us the warmest welcome. Strangely, Split gave me a Chinese vibe. The roads are wide like China; there are so many illuminated signs, which gave it a Chinese nightlife vibe; there are trees planted at regular intervals on the pavement. All of those things reminded me of China.

We didn't have any problems finding our hostel once we got off the bus from the ferry terminal, but we weren't sure which level the hostel was based on a 4 storey building. We tried calling the owner's phone number without much success. I think we must have spent a good 20 minutes waiting around. Then someone came out of a car and walked towards the building, we asked them if they knew where Wumi's B&B was and he pointed at the first floor. We rang the bell but there was still no answer! After 5 minutes or so, lights came on inside and finally we were let in into our rooms. It turns that the owner had already fell asleep (this was around 11) and as he got up to the toilet, he saw shadows outside his door which caused him to open the door. For a while, I was worried we weren't going to have a place to sleep!

This room is not as luxurious as the previous two. It is also quite odd- it is a Halloween themed room. I think it might have belonged to the owners son, who has now moved out. Therefore he simply uses the spare rooms for tourists. The walls have a wash of purple painted on, but the colour is uneven and rather patchy. The carpet is a dark brown colour an has cartoon pictures of dragons, nights and magic books on. There are a couple of small bookshelves with fantasy books on them, such as Northern Lights, Twilight (*wretch*), Stephen King... There are also fluorescent stars stuck to the ceiling. You know the ones that glow in the dark? I find this room slightly creepy and unsettling.

Time for a shower and bed. I hope the weather will be better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloglovin' Follow 2

Follow