Monday 12 October 2015

Weekends are for Pigging Out

FOOD. This pretty much sums up my weekend.

On Saturday, my boyfriend and I went round to one of my friend's house for his birthday party. It was such a good evening. The food was amazing, espresso martinis were made by the birthday boy's girlfriend. She is very talented in that area, amongst other things like knitting, baking, being super stylish (just check out her website)... Anyway, girl crush fawning over. So, food, I felt way too self conscious to take pictures, but here is a list: fried chicken, spiced rice, salad, coleslaw... Seriously, everything was delicious. And the desserts. There was a lemon tart and two loafs of lemon drizzle cake. The drizzle cake was melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness, super light. It was so good that I took a slice home. No shame whatsoever.

To add to the pigging out, before we went to the party, we had food out at Westfield Stratford. It is quite dangerous that a massive shopping centre is only 25 mins away on the overground train from my flat. The proximity is not healthy for my wallet, I am looking at you Victoria's Secret. We went to a Vietnamese restaurant and had some light but satisfying noodles and Pho (pronounced 'fuh'). Then proceeded to have poffertjes (mini Dutch pancakes) covered in milk chocolate AND an Oreo milkshake. Before you judge, we only got one of each and shared between us, that makes it less bad, right? The poffertjes were hot and freshly made, it was slightly salty, and having it dipped in milk chocolate was just heavenly. I think this might be my new favourite guilty-pleasure treat at Westfield. It used to be Mr Pretzel, but they increased their price by 49p, not a lot in absolute terms but that is a 14% increase!

God, just looking at this makes me want another one... (taken from thefoodconnoisseur, not my own picture)
Then on Sunday, we went to Aracini Brothers in Kentish Town for lunch. It was highly rated on Yelp and they did not disappoint. I have been searching for the perfect aracini since I had them at Rome however many years ago. They are deep fried risotto balls. Inside, they can be filled with beef ragu, or whatever takes you fancy/the eatery has to offer. I also tried to make them myself once, but I got too apprehensive when it came to the deep frying stage that I just ended up having very tasty risotto in ball form... The ones at Aracini Brothers were all plain, and served with salad, in a wrap or in burger form. I have to say that I was slightly disappointed that they were only plain, as the ones I had in Rome had tomato sauce inside, however, they were still pretty tasty. The salad was also very substantial and filled me up really well. It was all very reasonably priced too. I will definitely be visiting there again.

How can you not want to eat that?

Risotto balls in wrap. What a genius idea. 
 After a filling lunch, we had a lovely stroll at Regent's park and spied animals from ZSL. I love animals but I cannot afford the ticket. There are bits along the canal and in the park where you can peek into the zoo and see some of the animals. We spied some waddling penguins, a couple of camels (one with a wonky hump), African hunting dogs and massive colourful parrots. Not too bad right?

Before we headed back home, we had a sit down at Yum Cha and enjoyed some tea and a slice of chocolate velvet cake. I think I've had such good cakes lately that I'm turning my nose up at supermarket's mass produced cakes. I think I'd rather spend more money on a smaller amount that is truly satisfying, or make the time and bake one myself.


It was summing up to be a pretty good day, and we were ready to head back to the comforts of home again until I realised that I forgot my keys... So we ended up chasing after my flatmate down to London Bridge to get her keys so we could go home. I was so embarrassed and felt so guilty. Good thing that central london is only small.

You think the food would stop there, but wait! We ordered Domino's for dinner. After listing all the food we had this weekend, I now feel very fat indeed. I think my tummy resembled a bucket last night. I swear I eat super healthily the rest of the time though. It is not like I'm a Gilmore girl (now that is just unrealistic). Anyhow, an early morning workout tomorrow is a must! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloglovin' Follow 2

Follow